Oct. 12 (UPI) — Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Monday that the company will update its hate speech policy to ban Holocaust denial.
Zuckerberg made the announcement in a Facebook post.
“We’ve taken down posts that praise hate crimes or mass murder, including the Holocaust. But with rising anti-Semitism, we’re expanding our policy to prohibit any content that denies or distorts the Holocaust as well,” the post read. “If people search for the Holocaust on Facebook, we’ll start directing you to authoritative sources to get accurate information.”
The update reverses Facebook’s earlier policy on the issue.
In 2018, Zuckerberg said in a Recode Decode podcast interview that the social media company does not want to ban Holocaust denial posts because people should be able to make unintentional mistakes.
“I don’t think they’re intentionally getting it wrong,” Zuckerberg said on the podcast at the time.
Facebook Vice President of Content Policy Monika Bickert released a statement on the policy change.
“Today’s announcement marks another step in our effort to fight hate on our services,” Bickert said in the statement. “Our decision is supported by the well-documented rise in anti-Semitism globally and the alarming level of ignorance about the Holocaust, especially among young people. According to a recent survey of adults in the US aged 18-39, almost a quarter said they believed the Holocaust was a myth, that it had been exaggerated or they weren’t sure.”
Bickert added enforcement of the updated policy wouldn’t happen overnight since it takes time “to train our reviewers and systems on enforcement.”
Bickert also said that online attacks against many groups are increasing worldwide, according to organizations that study trends in hate speech, and that Facebook has taken several steps to remove such content.
Among those steps, Facebook has banned more than 250 white supremacist organizations
Over the past several weeks, there has been an increasing clamour for Facebook to place its India public policy head, Ankhi Das, on leave as the company continues with an audit of its India operations.
The impetus for the audit was an article written by the Wall Street Journal in mid-August. In that piece, WSJ reported that Das had resisted against taking down inflammatory content that eventually sparked rioting in the capital city of Delhi as it was posted by members of the nationalist BJP party.
The riots left over fifty dead, most of whom were Muslims. It also led to many of these Muslims’ homes being torched.
“The company’s top public-policy executive in the country, Ankhi Das, opposed applying the hate-speech rules to [T Raja] Singh and at least three other Hindu nationalist individuals and groups flagged internally for promoting or participating in violence,” WSJ reported.
These inflammatory posts were reportedly only taken down months after the riots had already occured, and only when the paper approached the company for a statement.
One of the BJP politicians, Raja Singh, reportedly said that Rohingya Muslim refugees should be “shot”, and had labelled Indian Muslims as traitors while also threatening to destroy their mosques. Singh, who has enshrined a reputation for these kinds of comments, has since denied these allegations and claimed his account was hacked.
The audit was initiated when a group of 54 retired civil servants wrote to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg about the WSJ revelation. This call for an audit was then reiterated by a jointly-written letter to Facebook by global civil rights organisations such as the Southern Law Poverty Center, Muslim Advocates, and other organisations in countries such as the UK, US, and New Zealand.
“The audit must be removed entirely from the influence of the India
Internet Security Market with COVID-19 Recovery Analysis 2020 | Rapid Adoption of BYOD Policy to Boost Market Growth
The global internet security market size is poised to grow by USD 20.41 billion during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 10% throughout the forecast period, according to the latest report by Technavio. The report offers an up-to-date analysis regarding the current market scenario, latest trends and drivers, and the overall market environment. The report also provides the market impact and new opportunities created due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Download a Free Sample of REPORT with COVID-19 Crisis and Recovery Analysis.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201007005681/en/
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global Internet Security Market 2020-2024 (Graphic: Business Wire)
The Internet security market is driven by the rapid adoption of BYOD policy. The perpetual changes in work locations, time zone barriers, as well as the pressing need to access official and confidential data on an employee’s personal device are resulting in the adoption of bring your own device (BYOD) policy. The increased adoption of the BYOD policy requires a secure network management suite that can be provided by commercial routers. SMEs and individual customers who have a high rate of data usage are focusing more on 3G/4G wireless routers. Thus, the market will experience continuous growth during the forecast period due to the abundant benefits of mobility.
Register for a free trial today and gain instant access to 17,000+ market research reports.
Technavio’s SUBSCRIPTION platform
The major Internet security market growth came from the products segment in 2019, and it is expected to witness the fastest growth during the next five years. This is primarily because of the increase in sales of hardware security components.
APAC was the largest Internet security market in 2019, and the region will offer several growth opportunities to market vendors during the forecast
- Twitter said it locked President Donald Trump’s account after he shared the email address of a New York Post columnist on the social-media site Monday evening.
- Trump praised a column by Miranda Devine in which she applauded the president, saying he pushed through his battle with COVID-19.
- In a second, now deleted post, the president tweeted Devine’s email address, a move that Twitter confirmed to Business Insider violated its private-information policy.
- Twitter said it prompted him to delete the tweet before his account could be unlocked.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Twitter said it locked President Donald Trump’s account after he shared the email address of a columnist Monday evening.
The president posted a tweet praising and quoting a column in the New York Post by the journalist Miranda Devine that ran on Sunday night. In the column, Devine praised Trump, saying he overcame his battle with the coronavirus and showed commitment to his duties as president after his diagnosis. Health experts have said he is not “out of the woods.”
Trump followed up his post with a now deleted tweet in which he tacked on Devine’s email address, prompting what she told Sky News Australia was a barrage of abuse from people online.
—Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 5, 2020
“People [were] just very angry, a lot of them, and they’re furious about the fact Donald Trump has actually seemingly beaten the coronavirus,” she said, according to Sky News.
Twitter confirmed to Business Insider in an email that it then locked the president’s account after it found the tweet violated its private-information policy. The policy forbids users from publishing or posting “other people’s private information without their express authorization and permission.”
According to the company’s policy, an account whose owner violates the rules will remain locked