Canadians have been used to picking up food from restaurants rather than having it delivered to their homes. But that appears to be changing, encouraged by restrictions imposed during the pandemic and lockdowns that kept people at home.
“We are now transforming that pick-up culture into a delivery culture, that’s why it’s growing so quickly,” Just Eat Takeaway.com’s investor relations manager Joris Wilton told CNN Business, adding that the second quarter had seen similar levels of growth.
A big increase in the selection of meals offered by restaurants also helped, making consumers more likely to order food more often, he said.
Grubhub is present in more than 4,000 US cities. The combined group, which processed more than half a billion orders last year, will have more than 70 million active customers globally, according to Just Eat Takeaway.com.
The deal is expected to close in the first half of 2021 and will see it take on the likes of Uber Eats and DoorDash, as competition in the space continues to heat up.
Updated 8:50 p.m. ET Wednesday
A federal judge in California has ordered that Twitter reveal the identity of an anonymous user who allegedly fabricated an FBI document to spread a conspiracy theory about the killing of Seth Rich, the Democratic National Committee staffer who died in 2016.
The ruling could lead to the identification of the person behind the Twitter name @whyspertech. Through that account, the user allegedly provided forged FBI materials to Fox News. The documents falsely linked Rich’s killing to the WikiLeaks hack of Democratic Party emails in the lead-up to the 2016 election.
While Twitter fought to keep the user’s identity secret, U.S. Magistrate Judge Donna Ryu in Oakland, Calif., ordered on Tuesday that the tech company must turn over the information to attorneys representing Rich’s family in a defamation suit by Oct. 20.
It is the latest twist in a years-long saga over a conspiracy theory that rocked Washington, caused a grieving family a great deal of pain and set off multiple legal battles.
In a now-retracted story, Fox News falsely claimed that Rich’s computer was connected to the leak of Democratic Party emails provided to WikiLeaks, and that Rich’s slaying was related to the purported leak. The theory was even debunked in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report.
The Washington Times later reported in 2018 that Rich’s brother, Aaron Rich,
Public records show the North Carolina Department of Commerce made dozens of work orders to fix the problems.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A WCNC Charlotte Defenders investigation is revealing a long list of technical problems with North Carolina’s unemployment system — everything from computer glitches to incorrect payments.
Public records show the North Carolina Department of Commerce made dozens of work orders to fix the problems. It comes as people say they’ve struggled to access their own accounts.
Sophie Shamsiddeen and Verna Huntley-Alexander said they faced delays accessing their accounts because of computer issues with the unemployment system.
“The website went down,” Huntley-Alexander said. “I cannot access my account.”
“There was a system glitch,” Shamsiddeen said.
The Defenders team also waited a long time for the North Carolina Department of Commerce to release public records that shed light on the problem.
In the critical months between March and May, documents show the department submitted more than 30 work orders to fix computer errors or IT issues with the unemployment system.
“It’s very frustrating,” Huntley-Alexander said. “It leaves you almost at a point of despair.”
“I’ve had many many, many breakdowns,” said Shamsiddeen.
Huntley-Alexander, who was furloughed from a part-time job at a non-profit, exhausted her regular unemployment benefits in June. She then applied for the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation program, but by July hadn’t received payment.
Instead, she tells WCNC Charlotte she got a message on her account saying the system would be down from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. She said she saw that same message no matter what time of day she checked.
“I get that same screen,” Huntley-Alexander said. “It’s been down all week.”
Shamsiddeen shared a screenshot of a different problem with her account.
“I kept receiving an error every time I attempted to apply for the
(Bloomberg) — Polish video game developer CD Projekt Red told employees on Monday that six-day work weeks will be mandatory leading up to the November release of the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, reneging on an earlier promise to not force overtime on the project.
Red, a subsidiary of Poland’s biggest gaming company CD Projekt SA, has been criticized previously for engaging in “crunch,” an industry term for excessive overtime in game development. The practice often lasts for weeks and can stretch out for months or even years. CD Projekt Red co-chief executive officer Marcin Iwinski last year told gaming website Kotaku that the company would be avoiding mandatory crunch and was “committed” to allowing employees to work without overtime.
But an account from a CD Projekt Red employee recently as well as an email to staff earlier this week indicate that the company hasn’t lived up to its word. The employee, who asked not to be named discussing private information, said some staff had already been putting in nights and weekends for more than a year.
In the email, CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski wrote that he was optimistic about the state of Cyberpunk 2077, which stars Keanu Reeves, and that they had just sent the game to be certified for release on Sony Corp.’s PlayStation and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox. Now, he wrote, it was time to fix the game’s many lingering bugs and glitches.
“Starting today, the entire (development) studio is in overdrive,” Badowski wrote, elaborating that this meant “your typical