Tag: evidence

14
Oct
2020
Posted in technology

Google labels ACCC’s allegations as ‘narrow’ but will hand over 40 categories of evidence

At Australian Federal Court on Wednesday, Google was ordered to hand over evidence to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) in relation to the watchdog’s allegations that Google mishandled the location data of its users.

The evidence that is to be handed to the ACCC includes over 40 categories of information and data. 

Throughout the day, Google’s legal counsel Robert Yezerski told the court he was concerned that handing over the evidence via discovery would postpone the case’s decision as it is a time consuming and costly process. 

He also labelled the ACCC’s allegations as “very narrow” and brushed off any references to Google’s interface as being a “labyrinth of screens and processes”, explaining that the allegations were only applicable to certain Google account settings and certain screens. 

“The case is very narrow and it’s narrow in three particular respects. First it’s narrow because it’s limited to two Google account settings. These are not device settings and they’re not app settings, being location history and weather activity,” Yezerski said. 

“Second, it’s limited only to statements made about the settings on Android mobile devices and, as I say, that’s significant because these settings can be accessed on other platforms in other ways and there’s no general allegation that everything Google ever said about these particular Google accounts was misleading — it’s only in the context of users who accessed these settings in a particular way.

“Finally, it’s limited to the specific allegations that are [misrepresented by the ACCC].” 

While Justice Thomas Thawley understood the case had significant public importance, he came to the conclusion that the matter’s decision was not so urgent that it had to be heard this year.

Not all of the ACCC’s requests for evidence were accepted, however. Thawley rejected the ACCC’s request for information that was

12
Oct
2020
Posted in technology

Elon Musk has ‘seen no evidence of an advanced civilization visiting Earth’

starshipmuskhopsn5

Elon Musk tweeted this scenic view of the Starship SN5 prototype in mid-air in August. This is an identified flying object.


Elon Musk/SpaceX

The truth is out there, and Elon Musk is sure it has nothing to do with aliens visiting Earth. 

The SpaceX founder chimed in on the idea of UFO sightings through a couple of tweets on Sunday. “I have seen no evidence of an advanced civilization visiting Earth,” he tweeted. “Fuzzy pics that are worse than a 7/11 security cam frame grab don’t count!”

Musk was responding to a tweet from Fox television anchor Maria Bartiromo. She shared a clip from Sunday in which she asked President Donald Trump why earlier this year the Department of Defense set up a UFO group called the Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Task Force.

Bartiromo asked whether UFOs exist. Trump told the anchor he would “have to check on that” and would “take a good strong look at that.”

Musk followed up with a strong piece of anecdotal evidence for his UFO doubt, tweeting: “There are literally >1000% more cameras than 10 years ago, but still zero clear photos.” (That’s what I’ve been saying for years.)  

It’s no wonder people care what Musk has to say about aliens and UFOs. He’s one of the most prominent space proponents on the planet. There was a minor kerfuffle back in July when he cryptically tweeted: “Aliens built the pyramids obv.” This prompted a response from Egypt inviting him to learn more

05
Oct
2020
Posted in website

No Evidence Of ‘Malicious Interference’ In PA Voter Website Crash

HARRISBURG, PA — A technical issue that impacted online voter registration in Pennsylvania has been restored as of Monday morning, the Pennsylvania Department of State said.

Online voter services and election applications are “fully operational” following an outage that began late Saturday. The outage was due to an equipment failure at a data center managed by Unisys, the Secretary of State said.

“The outage was due to an issue with the contractor’s equipment, and there is no evidence of malicious interference,” Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar said. “All data was backed up, as always.”

As of Monday morning, voters can once again go online to votesPA.com to register to vote, apply for a mail ballot and other services.

Multiple commonwealth agencies were impacted by the outage, and some remain so as of Monday morning.

The Department of State’s professional licensing services are among the applications that are still affected, officials said Monday. Also, online services for the departments of Revenue and Human Services and the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board are not functioning properly.

“The Commonwealth Office of Information Technology and Unisys are working to restore those functions as quickly as possible,” a statement from the Pennsylvania Office of Administration.

“We are working around the clock with our vendors to bring services back online as quickly as possible and will continue to do so until operations are fully restored,” said Secretary of Administration Michael Newsome. “In the meantime, the affected agencies are working to activate their continuity plans and provide additional information to customers of the impacted services.”

The issue began at approximately 5:30 p.m. on Saturday.

The cause was identified as an equipment failure at a data center managed for the commonwealth by Unisys.

“There is no indication at this time of any malicious physical or cyber activity, or that

30
Sep
2020
Posted in technology

Will Facebook Sit On The Evidence Of The Genocide Against The Rohingyas?

On June 8, 2020, The Gambia filed an application for discovery with the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. The application asks the Court to compel Facebook to provide information related to the personal Facebook accounts of Myanmar officials. The information that The Gambia seeks is to be used in an action brought by The Gambia against Myanmar in the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, The Netherlands.

In November 2019, The Gambia submitted a request to the ICJ for provisional measures of protection. The application alleges that the Government of Myanmar has been involved in atrocities against the Rohingya Muslims, which include “killing, causing serious bodily and mental harm, inflicting conditions that are calculated to bring about physical destruction, imposing measures to prevent births, and forcible transfers, are genocidal in character because they are intended to destroy the Rohingya group in whole or in part” in violation of the U.N. Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (the Genocide Convention).

The case continues at the ICJ. In January 2020, the ICJ issued the requested provisional measures, ordering Myanmar to prevent genocidal acts against the Rohingya Muslims. The order is an interim step, put in place to protect the Rohingya while the case continues. Under the terms of the order, Myanmar is to report regularly on its implementation of the order. Meanwhile, The Gambia was ordered to produce its written submissions by July 2020, with Myanmar to respond by January 2021.

The Gambia’s application to the U.S. District Court for the District of