- Burger King tweeted a video of its mascot opening a paper food bag – and the contents played what could be the new PlayStation 5 start-up noise.
- The bag shone a blue light into the Burger King’s face that looked similar to the blue glow PlayStation consoles emit.
- The video teased more details on October 15.
- Twitter users joked that the chain could be launching its own video games. It could also be a teaser for an upcoming competition, some said.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Burger King teased a mysterious tie-up with PlayStation in a cryptic tweet, ahead of an apparent official announcement on Thursday, October 15.
Burger King tweeted a video of its mascot opening one of the fast food chain’s paper bags. The contents of the bag shone a blue light into the King’s face, not unlike the glow PlayStation consoles emit.
The bag also played a short sound as soon as the bag was opened, leading to speculation this could be the upcoming PlayStation 5 (PS5) console’s start-up sound.
The sound was previously heard at the official PS5 reveal event, per IGN.
Burger King captioned the Tweet: “do Whopper sandwiches normally do this?” It was immediately retweeted by PlayStation, whose retweet now has more than 50,000 likes.
As The Burger King walked off screen, “10/15” flashed up.
—PlayStation (@PlayStation) October 12, 2020
One Twitter user joked that PlayStation may be selling the PS5 for the price of a Whopper.
Others suggested that Burger King may be reviving King Games. The fast food outlet launched a series of three Xbox games in 2006 which have since gained cult status.
The October 15 date could also just be a teaser for a competition to win a console by buying food from Burger King, others have pointed