Tag: break

14
Oct
2020
Posted in programming

R-Truth hilariously tries to get AJ Styles to break character during WWE programming

R-Truth has been one of WWE’s comedic gems for years now and he shows no signs of letting up.

The 48-year-old was assigned to RAW during WWE’s 2020 brand draft this week and it looks like the 24/7 champion will be remaining on Monday nights for another year.

R-Truth and AJ Styles had a good back and forth

R-Truth and AJ Styles had a good back and forth

He kicked off his new stint with an appearance on the show that follows RAW on the WWE Network, RAW Talk.

Truth has become wildly entertaining on these chat shows and many superstars, no matter how serious their character, cannot help but laugh when the veteran gets going.

Shayna Baszler has been the victim of Truth before, but this time it was AJ Styles Truth tried to ruffle.

As you can see from the clip below, Truth wants to know if Styles really built the SmackDown house.

“I want to ask you something,” he began. “I know SmackDown was the house that AJ Styles built, but do you do condominiums, duplexes, two, three story houses?”

Styles targeted the host, Charly Caruso, saying: “Charly, you’re an enabler. That’s what you are. You know he’s talking nonsense and yet you continue to help him out with his nonsense.

“Condominiums, little homes – what? What are we doing here?”

Truth replied: “So you didn’t build the SmackDown house?!”

Styles said: “It’s the house that AJ Styles built but it doesn’t mean that I actually built it by hand. I’m saying it wouldn’t be what it is today without AJ Styles, that’s what I’m saying.

Truth: “Dawg, I was going to ask you for a card of something. That’s disappointing, man! That’s false advertising.”

R-Truth has been a wildly entertaining 24/7 champion

R-Truth has been a wildly entertaining 24/7 champion

Truth has enjoyed a long and successful career in WWE and has worked with

08
Oct
2020
Posted in technology

IBM to Break up 109-Year Old Company to Focus on Cloud Growth | Technology News

(Reuters) – International Business Machines Corp

is splitting itself into two public companies, capping a years-long effort by the world’s first big computing firm to diversify away from its legacy businesses to focus on high-margin cloud computing.

IBM will list its IT infrastructure services unit, which provides technical support for 4,600 clients in 115 countries and has a backlog of $60 billion, as a separate company with a new name by the end of 2021.

The new company will have 90,000 employees and its leadership structure will be decided in a few months, Chief Financial Officer James Kavanaugh told Reuters.

IBM, which currently has more than 352,000 workers, said it expects to record nearly $5 billion in expenses related to the separation and operational changes.

Investors cheered the surprise move by Chief Executive Officer Arvind Krishna, the key architect behind IBM’s $34 billion acquisition of cloud company Red Hat last year, sending the company’s shares up 7%.

“We divested networking back in the ’90s, we divested PCs back in the 2000s, we divested semiconductors about five years ago because all of them didn’t necessarily play into the integrated value proposition,” Krishna said on a call with analysts.

In a blog, Krishna called the move a “significant shift” in the 109-year-old company’s business model.

“IBM is essentially getting rid of a shrinking, low-margin operation given the cannibalizing impact of automation and cloud, masking stronger growth for the rest of the operation,” Wedbush Securities analyst Moshe Katri said.

IBM, which has sought to make up for slowing software sales and seasonal demand for its mainframe servers, said it would now focus on open hybrid cloud and AI solutions that will account for more than half of its recurring revenues.

Krishna, who replaced Ginni Rometty as CEO in April, said IBM’s software and

07
Oct
2020
Posted in technology

Boom Supersonic wants you to break the sound barrier

boom-xb-1.png

Someday ordinary people might fly at supersonic speeds in this. 


Boom Supersonic

Boom Supersonic on Wednesday unveiled what it hopes to be the first step in letting ordinary people fly at supersonic speeds again. The XB-1 that rolled out at an event in Colorado won’t carry passengers, but it’ll serve as a demonstration aircraft to test the company’s technologies.

“We have begun to pave the path of a mainstream supersonic future,” said CEO Blake Scholl. “Today we stand on the precipice of a new age of travel.” 

The 71-foot XB-1 will use three General Electric engines with 12,000 pounds of thrust. As with the Concorde, a long pointy nose will obscure the view of the runway from the cockpit during landing, but cameras will take the place of the Concorde’s dropping nose.

“[The XB-1’s] fuselage is designed for speed minimizing drag and supersonic performance,” Scholl said. “Its carbon composite airframe retains its rigidity and strength even under the temperatures of supersonic flight and its delta wind balances low-speed performance for take off and landing with high speed efficiency.”

Boom’s ultimate goal is to bring back commercial supersonic flight following the retirement of the Anglo-French Concorde in 2003. Its planned Overture airliner, which was first announced at the 2017 Paris Air Show, promises to carry between 45-55 passengers –half the capacity of the Concorde.

Flying at more than twice the speed of sound, it would cut the current flight time between London and New York in half to just 3 hours, 15 minutes and a reduce a typical 14-hour flight between Los Angeles and Sydney to 6 hours, 45 minutes. 

More importantly, though, Boom promises the Overture will

06
Oct
2020
Posted in technology

House Democrats push Congress to break up Big Tech monopolies

Congress should consider forcing the breakup of Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google into smaller companies that can’t enter into adjacent lines of business (via NBC News). That’s the main recommendation of a 449-page Democrats on the House Judiciary subcommittee on antitrust published on Tuesday following the panel’s 16-month investigation into big tech that saw the CEOs from all four companies testify before Congress. They say all four companies enjoy monopolies in at least one of the verticals in which they operate.   

“During the investigation, Subcommittee staff found evidence of monopolization and monopoly power,” the report says. It goes on to argue the dominance of Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google has “diminished consumer choice, eroded innovation and entrepreneurship in the U.S. economy, weakened the vibrancy of the free and diverse press and undermined Americans’ privacy.” 

Perhaps most notably, the report concludes Apple enjoys a monopoly in app distribution on iOS devices. “Apple leverages its control of iOS and the App Store to create and enforce barriers to competition and discriminate against and exclude rivals while preferencing its own offerings,” the report says. “Apple also uses its power to exploit app developers through misappropriation of competitively sensitive information and to charge app developers supra-competitive prices within the App Store.”

Apple’s control of the App Store is at the heart of the company’s ongoing legal feud with Fortnite developer Epic Games. In August, Epic bypassed the App Store with its Mega Drop promotion, giving mobile players the option to pay for the title’s in-game currency directly. When Apple removed Fortnite from the App Store, Epic launched a lawsuit against the company.

Among other recommendations, the report also suggests strengthing antitrust laws and requiring dominant tech companies to make their platforms compatible with the services from their competitors.

“The totality of the evidence

06
Oct
2020
Posted in technology

Tie Break Tens announces Slinger Bag as Official Partner for TB10 2021 Series

Slinger Bag

Tie Break Tens announces Slinger Bag as Official Partner
Tie Break Tens announces Slinger Bag as Official Partner
Tie Break Tens announces Slinger Bag as Official Partner

LONDON, Oct. 06, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Tie Break Tens, the fast-paced, short-form tennis format, is excited to announce that Slinger Bag, the first truly portable tennis launcher, has signed as an Official Partner for the all Tie Break Tens (TB10) tournaments in 2021. Having established a successful partnership at the Progress Tour held at the LTA’s National Tennis Centre, London in July 2020, TB10 are delighted to be working with Slinger Bag next season.

Tie Break Tens tournaments are held over one evening and involve 8 players competing in a knock-out format, with each match consisting of a super tie-break to ten points with a winner-takes-all prize. Following successful tournaments in London, Vienna, Madrid, Melbourne, Madison Square Garden and Indian Wells Tennis Garden, TB10 are looking forward to announcing a series of tournaments in 2021, including two new destinations.

Since launch, Slinger Bag has exploded onto the tennis scene by enabling tennis fans to practice their favourite shots in their local parks, at home or in any open space. Slinger Bag may be wheeled like carry-on luggage and easily transported in the boot of a car. In addition, this proprietary design empowers players to: set up and start launching balls within one minute; control the launch speed and the frequency of the balls using two customizable dials. It is lightweight at 15kg/33 lbs and is multi-functional holding racquets tennis gear and capacity for 72 tennis balls.

As part of this new partnership, Slinger Bag will work with TB10 on fan focused activations at each TB10 tournament, adding additional value to the fans on site; alongside on-court branding and captivating social media promotions.

“We are excited to be