Tag: Abuse

07
Oct
2020
Posted in technology

Exclusive: Google faces new antitrust case in India over abuse in smart TVs market

By Aditi Shah and Aditya Kalra



a screen shot of a man: FILE PHOTO: Man stands in front of a screen during a Google event in New Delhi


© Reuters/Adnan Abidi
FILE PHOTO: Man stands in front of a screen during a Google event in New Delhi


NEW DELHI (Reuters) – Alphabet Inc’s Google is facing a new antitrust case in India in which the U.S. tech giant is alleged to have abused its Android operating system’s position in the smart television market, a source and two lawyers involved in the case told Reuters.

The case is Google’s fourth major antitrust challenge in India, one of its key markets where it is currently facing public criticism from local startups for enforcing certain policies and company charges they contend hurt their growth.

Loading...

Load Error

It also comes as Google faces new antitrust challenges in the United States, and a potential antitrust probe in China that is set to look into how it allegedly uses its dominance of its Android mobile operating system to stifle competition. Google has denied any wrongdoing.

The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has since June been looking into allegations that Google engages in anti-competitive practices by creating barriers for firms wanting to use or develop modified versions of Android for smart TVs, such as Amazon Fire TV’s operating system, according to the source, who has direct knowledge of the case.

The case has been filed by two Indian antitrust lawyers, Kshitiz Arya and Purushottam Anand. They both confirmed the case filing against Google for alleged abuse in the smart television market, but declined to comment further.

The source said the CCI had directed Google to submit its written responses to the allegations and that the company has sought more time.

A Google spokesman declined comment, since the case with the antitrust body was pending. Amazon and the CCI did not respond to requests for comment.

Unlike Indian court cases,

30
Sep
2020
Posted in technology

Fraud claims, DOJ probe and sexual abuse allegations cloud $2B deal between GM and Nikola truck startup

What seemed like a simple matter of crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s has turned into a protracted challenge for General Motors and Nikola, after negotiations to pair up and produce new zero-emissions trucks have been extended.

The $2 billion deal, announced Sept. 9, was billed as a “partnership made in heaven,” according to Nikola founder and then-chairman Trevor Milton, during a media call with GM CEO Mary Barra. But the Phoenix-based startup has since been hammered by claims of fraud, with a Securities and Exchange Commission probe now underway. Allegations surfaced this week of sexual abuse by Milton, who stepped down as chairman last week. Nikola’s stock has plunged to barely a quarter of what it was worth when the company went public last June.

Talks expected to wrap up today could now run through Dec. 3, at which time the proposed deal “may be terminated by either (Nikola) or GM Holdings if the closing has not occurred,” according to a Nikola filing with the SEC.

“Nikola continues to work with GM towards a closing and will provide further updates when appropriate or required,” a Nikola spokesperson said in a statement sent to NBC News and echoed by GM. Separately, the startup issued a statement outlining its various business ventures, an apparent response to Wall Street’s growing concerns about the company.

Describing itself as a “a technology disruptor and integrator” aimed at becoming a “global leader,” it emphasized that it has a number of other ventures in the works, including a deal with European truck maker Iveco, while it is moving ahead on the launch of a factory in Arizona that will produce its heavy-duty hydrogen trucks.

Founded in Salt Lake City in 2014, Nikola Motors planned to produce large semi-trucks using fuel cells, rather than conventional diesel

29
Sep
2020
Posted in website

Surfer Ellie-Jean Coffey Reveals ‘Terrifying’ Abuse She Suffered In Surfing, Talks Adult Website

KEY POINTS

  • Ellie-Jean Coffey opened up about the horrific abuse she endured in the surfing industry
  • The former pro surfer said she had to undergo “extensive, intensive therapy” to cope with the trauma
  • Coffey launched an X-rated personal website, charging subscribers $10 a month for adult content 

Former professional surfer Ellie-Jean Coffey shocked sports fans when she launched a personal X-rated website. Recently, she also opened up about the terrifying abuse she suffered in the surfing industry.

In an interview with News.com.au, the Australian adult star spoke up about what she endured before her career switch. Coffey initially thought she was “the luckiest girl in the world” after her dream of becoming a pro surfer came true, but this excitement vanished when she discovered the “darker side” of the industry.

“The abuse, both mentally and physically, I endured during my teenage years far away from home with adults in positions of power has haunted me my whole life. It was a pretty horrible time in my life,” Coffey said.

The 25-year-old model added, “I think people in positions of power tend to abuse that power, and I was only a young girl, and it’s taken me a long time to recover.”

As a result, Coffey had to undergo “extensive, intensive therapy” to cope with the trauma that she said almost pushed her to end her life. In the wake of the Me Too movement, the ex-surfer found the courage to open up about the dark phase of her life.

“I really don’t feel that anyone’s come forward and really highlighted the things about the surfing industry. It goes back decades, this misogyny and male-dominated industry — it’s really toxic,” the former Australian junior surf star said.

The former professional surfer said that managers and powerful people abused many other girls.